I can’t tell you how many people assume that because I’m a medium, Halloween is a big day for me. Of course, there are fun activities like carving pumpkins or going to Halloween parties, and I know Alexa and I will love taking Royce trick-or-treating, but I don’t feel a connection with the scary side of Halloween.
I want nothing to do haunted houses, gruesome decorations, and horror movies – but during this time of year, they’re everywhere! In my world, it’s important that I focus on the light and not open the door to negative influences from either side of the veil.
“Don’t Go Looking for Darkness!”
When I was young, my grandmother made sure I understood that my mediumship was a wonderful gift, and not something to be afraid of. She also let me know that negative and destructive spirits exist but they wouldn’t bother me, as long as I didn’t seek them out. She always encouraged me to come from a place of light rather than focusing on darkness, and to never mess around with ouija boards or spells.
I still remember her advice, and it’s always worked for me! But there are times, like after a major event or trauma or when you’ve moved into a new house, that you might feel the need for an extra “positive energy boost.” With Halloween around the corner, this seems like the perfect opportunity to share some time-tested techniques for clearing out the darkness, and shielding and protecting your space.
Cleansing Rituals Make Room for the Light!
Psychic smudging is what most people think of when they want to clear out negative energy in a new home, or cleanse any space where the atmosphere seems dark and heavy. It involves the burning of specific herbs, usually sage, to cleanse and purify a space. Take these easy steps and see if you feel the difference:
- Set Your Intention: Begin with a clear intention. Focus on removing negative energy and fostering a sense of peace and positivity in your home.
- Prepare Your Space: Open your windows and doors to allow the negative energy to exit.
- Light your sage or herb bundle. You can tie dried sage leaves together with cotton string or thread, or purchase a pre-tied bundle. Light your bundle carefully, then blow out the flame, allowing the herbs to smolder and produce smoke.
- Walk Through Your Home: Starting at the entrance, walk through each room, moving the sage bundle in a counterclockwise direction. Pay special attention to corners, doorways, and areas that feel energetically heavy.
- Express Gratitude: As you complete the process, express gratitude for the cleansing and protection.
Using Crystals to Ward off Evil Spirits.
Amethyst, selenite, obsidian, and quartz crystal has a long history of warding off evil spirits and negative energy. Here are some ways to use them to ward off evil spirits and protect your home and space from negative energy.
- Find a few crystals that speaks to you. It could be amethyst, selenite, obsidian or quartz crystal.
- Place a few crystals in a small pottery dish in any room, to absorb negative energy and protect against malevolent forces.
- For personal protection, some people even thread crystals and wear them as jewelry or place them in their pockets or pocketbooks.
- Place crystals outside on the home in the four corners of the house. You can bury them just below the surface or place them on the inside of your home.
More Protection Techniques
Here are a few more techniques to protect your home and yourself from evil energy:
- Salt Cleansing: Sprinkle a thin line of salt across window sills and doorways to create a protective barrier. Salt is believed to absorb negative energy.
- Salt Lams : Place salt lamps around your home to absorb negative energy and promote positivity.
- Blessings and Positive Affirmations: Conduct a personal blessing of your living space. Walk through each room, expressing your intention for protection and love in your home. Regularly affirm positive intentions for your home by reciting affirmations, prayers, or mantras.
- Protective Charms: Create or purchase protective warding charms, like the “Evil Eye” or “Hamsa,” and display them in your home.
I hope these tips help make your environment pure and welcoming. In addition to these tips, I’m a big believer in the power of a fresh breeze, family photos, beautiful music, and laughter to elevate your space and bring in the light.
One last thing – the secret ingredient in any energy cleansing rituals is YOU. As you try these techniques, set your intention to release any negativity and allow only positive energy into your home, and your life!
If you enjoyed this blog post I would like to invite you to join my “Email from Heaven” monthly newsletter by clicking HERE. Each month I will send you my newest blog posts, videos and also a free gift to your inbox. I hope that my emails help you on your spiritual journey and help you stay connected to those you love and miss in Heaven.