It still kind of blows my mind that I can be sitting in my living room talking to a person on a Zoom call who’s in their own living room in Australia, and connect them with their grandmother in Heaven. How is this even possible?
The simple explanation is that all souls, living and dead, are made up of energy, which transcends space, time, and even the physical world.
When you understand that we are all energetic beings, a lot of other things start to make sense.
For example, the fact that you instinctively feel at ease with some people and uncomfortable with others can be chalked up to their energy. Your overall health and well being is tied to your energy field too.
The world is so full of stressors, screens, and technologies that affect us at an energetic level, that it can be difficult to stay calm and balanced. While there are times you’d love to spend a month unplugged on a mountaintop somewhere, that’s not always an option! Instead, some people turn to a holistic healing technique called Reiki. Like Acupuncture, Ayurveda, Herbal Medicine, and many other holistic practices, Reiki has been used to heal the mind and body for hundreds and hundreds of years.
Reiki is a healing technique that can help clear and balance your energy.
Reiki Healing is based on the idea that there is a universal life force energy that flows through all living things. People who practice this technique believe that this energy can be channeled and transferred to promote healing and balance in the recipient.
When you experience stress or are exposed to negative energy from other people, it can impact your mind, body, and spirit. Most of the time this is temporary, and your energy clears itself. But if you’re struggling with old trauma, excessive stress or grief, have persistent pain or other physical symptoms, or are in a destructive relationship, your energy field may need extra help! That’s when many people benefit from Reiki techniques.
If you’re not familiar with Reiki, here are a few things you should know:
Reiki can be done through either a hands-on or hands-off approach. Practitioners often place their hands lightly on or above the recipient’s body, allowing the energy to flow where it’s needed most to balance and heal the patient. Some healers even practice Reiki remotely.
Reiki is considered a holistic healing practice, and unlike traditional medicine, treats not only physical symptoms but also emotional, mental, and spiritual well-being. Many people swear by its ability to promote a sense of relaxation, reduce stress, and enhance the body’s natural ability to heal itself.
While Reiki is known to complement traditional medical treatments, for most people it’s not a substitute for professional medical care. People should consult with healthcare providers for serious health issues and view Reiki as a complementary practice.
Energy Healing techniques you can try at home.
- Deep Breathing and Visualization: Practice deep breathing exercises to clear your energy and promote relaxation. As you breathe in, imagine drawing in positive, healing energy. Visualize this energy circulating through your body, bringing vitality and balance. Exhale, releasing any tension or negativity.
- Mindful Touch: Place your hands on areas of your body where you feel tension or discomfort. Focus on the warmth generated by your hands and imagine healing energy flowing from your palms. You can do this for yourself or offer gentle touch to others, such as a family member or friend, to provide comfort.
- Grounding Techniques: Connect with the Earth’s energy by spending time outdoors, walking barefoot on grass, soil, or sand. Imagine any negative energy being released into the ground, and visualize fresh, revitalizing energy flowing up through your body. Grounding is believed to restore balance and promote overall well-being.
- Affirmations and Intention Setting: The mind body connection is powerful, so try using positive affirmations to direct your thoughts and intentions towards healing. Affirmations can be simple statements like “I am healthy and vibrant” or “I release all negative energy.” Repeat these affirmations with conviction, focusing on the positive energy they invoke.
- Crystal Healing: Many people use crystals to clear the energy around them, but they can also be used for healing. Choose crystals associated with healing properties, such as amethyst for relaxation or rose quartz for emotional healing. Hold the crystal in your hand, close your eyes, and focus on the energy it radiates. You can also place crystals on specific areas of the body or in your environment.
Like I said, I’m not a Reiki expert, and am not suggesting that you use practices like Reiki as a substitute for professional medical care. However, based on what I understand about energy, I believe these techniques can help you feel calmer, balanced, and more energetic,
Let’s try a quick exercise for an energy boost!
I can’t physically send energy like a Reiki practitioner might, but this exercise will provide you some positive vibes. If you’re open to it, take a moment to close your eyes, take a deep breath, and imagine a warm, comforting light surrounding you. Count silently to time your breaths: breathe in through your nose for four seconds, gently hold for seven seconds, and exhale for eight seconds – then start again! Imagine yourself releasing the tension or negativity you’re holding onto with each exhale, and allow the positive energy to fill you with a sense of peace and well-being. There! Feel better? Simply by unplugging and taking a few moments to breathe you’ve balanced and cleared your energy.
Whether you visit a Reiki practitioner for a treatment or try a DIY technique like visualization, positive thoughts, or a simple moment of mindfulness, taking time to focus on and heal your energy can have a surprisingly positive effect on every part of you!